top of page

SEASONAL HAZARDS- please share!

As we gear up for the festive frenzy, be careful to avoid situations that may involve calling out you friendly vet just as he's about to tuck into his Christmas dinner!

Here's a list of common problems at this time of year- give us a call if you'd like more information about any of them:


1) Anti-freeze (ethylene glycol): be it a screen-wash, brake fluid or from a car radiator, this is one poison that cats find very attractive as well as dogs, and ingestion is usually fatal unless treated immediately.

2) Chocolate: everyone knows this is toxic to dogs, right? More than 9g per kilo body weight of milk or just 1.25g/kg of dark chocolate eaten needs an emergency visit to the vet so don't leave it laying around. It may also contain....

3) Raisins, sultanas, currants and grapes themselves can have serious effects. Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, chocolate raisins...clear them away before your after-dinner snooze.

4) Intestinal blockages: corn-on-the-cob, bones, tinsel, batteries...you name it, it can be swallowed. Batteries can cause electrical or chemical burns, as well as leak all sorts of nasties.

5) Pot-plants: lilies, peace-lilies, cyclamen and poinsettias are all toxic if eaten but be especially careful with lilies, the pollen of which may be licked off the fur by cats when grooming, causing kidney failure. In fact- best banned from cat-owning households.

6) Nuts- peanuts, macadamia nuts, coffee beans (especially those chocolate covered ones...)

And don't forget all that greenery we bring indoors- holly, ivy and mistletoe can all cause upsets.


Yours, The Ghost of Christmas Past

0 comments

Related Posts

See All

コメント


bottom of page